Tuesday, May 19, 2009

It's Been A While

Good day, Sunshines!

Overcome with guilt at having posted nothing in many, many moons and the fact that so many of my friends and family are starting blogs of their own, I decided it was expedient for me to put a little something up here.

Things are going well for me. I'm still working in Customer Service, which I love and making somewhat lousy money, which I love less. But, my job is enjoyable and I really like the company I work for. (If you're interested, you can view our website at www.zagg.com.)

As of the last update on this blog, I was headed out on a month long end-of-the-year sabbatical. That was December 2007. The sabbatical was grueling, but I learned some things and got some things done. I had a chance to take a step back and make some decisions about what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.

Back in the real world, I found myself in a new home. Dawn & Lawrence had moved to Salt Lake from Rexburg, which necessitated us all finding a bigger place to live. Now we're in a four bedroom place on the Salt Lake Valley's east side. I've enjoyed decorating the place and filling it up new (...ish) furniture from yard sales. Finally, after a year and a half, it's really starting to look like a home.

I've also gotten started working on some of the goals I set for myself during my sabbatical and extending some of those goals to include even loftier pursuits. I've begun taking some self improvment classes, which I'm getting a LOT out of and meeting with a sort of "life coach" to help me figure out how to best use this new information. As with most things that are worth doing, this isn't easy and it's kinda slow going. But, I love the direction I'm heading.

So, how am I spending the rest of my time? Well, hobbies are good.

I enjoy reading and studying philosophy and religion. I've been reading books on Catholocism and "mainstream" Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism and Hinduism (as well as my continued reading of The Book of Mormon and other LDS authors). It is amazing how much truth there is to be found in their philosophies and practices. It's also amazing to notice all the things that are missing.

I'm facinated by the things the various groups elect to focus on and the things they completely neglect. The more I discover about the different religions, the more I become convinced that The Truth of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the only place where EVERYTHING makes sense! What a wonder it is to be able to turn to a living prophet for clarification of the so-called "mysteries of GOD". How comforting it is to not have to just make stuff up to explain such things. There is nothing the human race needs to know about life, death and personal salvation that has not been revealed to us.

Cooking is another hobby I enjoy. I have a friend I get together with from time to time to host dinner parties at my home. We've been trying our hand as some international cooking including, Italian, Indian and French. (By popular demand, we are reprising a French dinner we did a couple of years ago that featured Roast Lamb w/ Artichokes, Celery Root Puree, and a very yummy Ratatouille. If you haven't seen the movie "Ratatouille", you should. It's fun.)

Speaking of movies... I enjoy those, too. The most recent "new" movies I've seen were the James Bond movie "Quantum of Solace", Will Smith's "Seven Pounds" and, to kill time one evening, "Bedtime Stories" with Adam Sandler. None of them were anything to write home about, but they were all alright. Currently, I'm trying to find the time to go see the new "Star Trek" movie.

Well, that's where I'm at for now. If anyone has any comments or questions for me, feel free to post them and I'll try to respond here.

See ya!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

When I saw your comment on mom's blog I had a feeling you'd posted again. I'm so glad!! I love your writing and everything you have to say. You're good at it. So hopefully you will keep it up!

We made ratatouille once. It was good. I wish you lived closer. You could cook for me and I would clean for you. I hate to cook (how can I be my own mother's daughter and hate to cook??)

Anyway, looking forward to your future posts.